Monday, July 11, 2011

Grieving

It has been just over three months since our little Yorkie Basil passed away. The gut wrenching pain and emotions I felt for Basil in the first few weeks after he died was really shocking, though not surprising he was part of our life for thirteen years and much loved . I just want to say to anyone going through the death of a pet don't be shocked with the depth of sadness you feel and also don't feel ashamed, its normal and its shows that you had a real bond with your furry friend.

I questioned for a while whether we should get another dog as the thought of going through this kind of pain again seemed too intolerable. But when you have owned a pooch for as long as we did, it seemed illogical not to adopt another dog and have the pleasure of sharing our home with a furry friend, especially as we have the time to give to look after a dog.

Some people may feel that they are being unfaithful to the memory of their furry departed friend by getting another dog , but really getting another dog and giving a loving and caring home is such a positive and caring thing too do, really you shouldn't feel guilty.

I am still at the stage where I can't put photos of Basil up in the house as it upsets me, but I know one day I will be able to do this and remember the happy days he shared with us.

Gizmo our adopted rescue pooch has helped us with our grieving process, and we look forward to many years of joy sharing our life with him.


1 comment:

  1. Gizmo is so lucky to have found you guys, and I'm sure Basil approves.

    ReplyDelete