Friday, December 21, 2012

Tips for Christmas to keep your doggie safe

Here are some tips for xmas to keep your pooch safe.

Note down the telephone number of a vet which is open in the holiday season. Hopefully you will not need the vets services but it's always best to be prepared !

Make sure you keep your tree lights away from your dog's reach or your pooch might want to investigate and have a chew through the electrical cord. It's not much fun for your pooch having a few hundred volts of electricity shooting through his tail and it really plays havoc with his  fur-cut !

The dangly decorations on the tree are also quite attractive for doggies an accident might occur if your pooch, for example tries to reach up to a xmas bauble and topples the tree over.
Decorations also tend to look better on the tree rather than your furry friend wearing them around the house.

Mistletoe, pot pourrie and poinsettias are toxic so please keep out of your dogs reach and seek immediate vet advice if you think your dog has swallowed any of these plants.

Spray snow - check your dog isn't interested in licking it, as of course spray snow is a chemical and so can be poisonous

Candles - make sure your dog's waggy tail is out of the way of a lightened candle.

Chocolate is a definite big NO NO as it contains a chemical called Theobromine and is actually poisonous to dogs.

Grapes, raisins and sultanas should not be fed to your dog, these are now known to be toxic to dogs and can cause poisoning. Other foods liquorice, avocados, onions and some nuts can also cause problems.

Being safety conscious will ensure a fun xmas with your furry friend -

....and Merry Christmas mis amigas and amigos and a big wooftastic thanks to all the wonderful humans working in the dog rescue shelters and to the foster carers and anyone who has adopted a rescue pooch this year :) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment