Friday, June 12, 2009

Swiming Pooches - Written by Sharon Haslam




Have you ever taken your dog down to the sea and allowed them to take a dip? I am currently working with two Spinger Spaniels and I thought I would do something a bit different with them today so I took them to a small cove around Golf Del Sur area where they could go into the sea and have a swim if they so desired. Little did I know how much fun they would actually have and I should have worn a bathing suit as I ended up as wet as the dogs did! I didnt even have time to take off their leads and they were splashing around and leaping about in the waves! We spent a good half an hour having so much fun and I hadnt realised just how much they loved swimming. Now we will be making this a once a week stop off so they can blow off some steam and I can sit and watch them and laugh at their silly antics!!

Obviously these two dogs have been used to the sea since they were pups so please dont just go down to the waters edge and throw your dog in which many people do. You have to teach them they have nothing to fear. How would you like to be thrown in at the deep end of the pool and not know how to swim, panic maybe?? Remember dogs have emotions and feelings too so make it as fun as possible for them even if it does take a lot of time to get them feeling comfortable, it shouldnt be a stressful experience.

Unfortunately many of the areas with a beach here in Tenerife have recently become not accessible for dogs so do make sure you check first before you allow your dog to go romping along the beach and splashing about in the waves or you could end up with a hefty fine!
As a final thought, its always a good idea to gently hose your dog off once you get home to get rid of any salt or debris left on his coat. Happy Swimming!


Article written by Sharon Haslam - Dog Trainer - to contact Sharon ring 699 109 837

No comments:

Post a Comment